About A Girl - Joanne Horniman | Lesbian Teen Novels Week


I am reviewing this book as part of
the Lesbian Teen Novels Week hosted here.
If you would like more information about the week,

~~~


Summary from Amazon:
I remember the first time that we lay together and I felt the crackle of her dark hair between my fingers, and closed my eyes and breathed her in, so that she became my entire world. Anna is afraid she must be unlovable - until she meets Flynn. Together, the girls swim, eat banana cake, laugh and love. Some days Flynn is unreachable; other days she's at Anna's window - but when Anna discovers her secret, she wonders if she knows Flynn at all. A beautifully crafted novel that explores the tension between the things that pull people together and the things that push them apart.

~~~

I found this book in Foyles and the original cover caught my eyes on a table, then I had the pleasant surprise to discover that this was a lesbian young adult novel and that the book was set in the author’s native country, Australia - I couldn't be more thrilled!

The book is about 19-year-old Anna who lives in small town and works in a bookshop. She lives far from her family and has no friends but she finds all she needs in books. Especially the dark ones written by dead Russian writers. Then one day she meets Flynn (well, she really is Rose but everyone calls her Flynn) and Anna realises that she needs more in her life, that she needs Flynn in her life. 
They both fall for each other and they start getting to know each other even if they are cautious to share some parts of their past.

The book perfectly encapsulates the characteristics of first love. It's like being short-sighted all your life and suddenly putting on glasses: you finally realise what you've been missing out your whole life and what you now can't live without. Anna thought her entire life that she was not lovable and that no one would ever love her. The day before, Anna was roughly satisfied with her life (as much as a lonely and depressed 19 year old could be, that is) and the day after she can't stop thinking and obsessing about Flynn. Because love may be a beautiful thing but has some obsessive, absolute and all-encompassing aspect to it. And as Anna and Flynn get to know each other, we get to know more about them and reevaluate what we have been thinking all along since the beginning.

A part of the book tells the teenage years of Anna and how she had to go through the divorce of her parents and how her little sister has learning disabilities. Even though Anna loves her sister Molly, she sometimes resents the attention her sister gets instead of her. Anna also feels "like a freak" for being gay and she closes herself to the people around her. 
One aspect of the story is Anna's depression, and I thought that young adult novels on the subject are far too few. It is very respectfully and realistically described and I thought it added a very interesting layer to Anna's personality.

Creativity is an important part of the book as well: Flynn is a musician and has a very lively personality (she names her belongings and talks to her guitar). It also shows how a creative activity can bring out your deeply hidden emotions which you feel you can't talk about. It definitely reminded me of Melinda in Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson who progressively finds her voice in art class. Some traumas are hard to get out there and I loved how Flynn tried to find a way to express herself.
 
The story is very much centred around the two main characters and their stories. The book is told from Anna's point of view and her obsession with Flynn was hard to follow at times, but the book’s writing kept me going. You might not be able to like the characters or be fascinated by this love story, but the writing is very beautiful that it holds you until the very last page. It really has been a pleasure to read and I highly recommend it if you are reading books leaning on the more literary side of the force.

This is a very sweet love story, but most of all the coming of age story of a girl who needs to get away to find herself. The passages on Anna's depression and on Flynn's creativity as a means to escape and deal with reality as well as the beautiful writing really made this book special for me. I will be looking out for Joanne Horniman's other novels!


About A Girl by Joanne Horniman | 2010 | Allen and Unwin | Bought in Foyles.


22 comments:

  1. this one sounds really interesting!! I think I was probably sold as soon as I saw that cover! its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You see I wouldn't pick up a book with a cover like that. It kind of looks preteen to me and I guess the cartoon style puts me off. But how fantastic that you did. An Aussie coming of age story and a romance. It sounds great.

    Also how brilliant are Foyles for being a diverse stockist. We need to encourage big chain stores to be more inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, the cover looks fab - it would certainly encourage me to pick it up and I love coming of age stories too - I might have to give this one a try. Fan review :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. bonjour! i just found your blog today (through a link at teenagebookgeek i think) and was so happy to see you review "about a girl". jo is one of my absolute favourite authors and it makes me so happy to hear that a french girl living in the uk has picked it up. you must must get your hands on her book "my candlelight novel" - it is just divine.
    a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love coming of age stories and at the same time they are so painful to read because they remind me of all the stuff I went through as a teen. Another great YA novel though, definitely worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheon Yeo-Woon, een wees van de Demonische Cult, krijgt een verrassingsbezoek van zijn afstammeling uit de toekomst die een nano-machine-reaperscan in zijn lichaam implanteert. Eenmaal geactiveerd, verandert de machine het leven van Cheon Yeo-Woon aanzienlijk nadat hij met minachting is behandeld en zijn leven is bedreigd. We staan ​​nog maar aan het begin van de missie van Cheon Yeo-Woon om de grootste krijgskunstenaar te worden door de demonische sekte te mijden.

    ReplyDelete