Body Image and Self-Perception Month @ Once Upon a Bookcase



Hello fellow bloggers and readers!

I just wanted to post a quick message about the Body Image and Self-Perception Month (BI&SP Month) hosted by the wonderful Jo at Once Upon a Bookcase

The month has been organised to talk about the crucial theme of body image and self-perception through fiction in young adult books. Overcoming these difficulties is one of the turning points of someone's life bringing them closer to being an adult and a human being with less insecurities about who they are. 
The media sends constant messages about one type of beauty - which might concern 0,01% of the world population in total - so that the majority should change accordingly. The moronic arrogant fools. We all know there isn't one kind of beauty and that there's no need to change ourselves because we are perfect just as we are. But sometimes, it isn't as easy as that and it feels more like wishful thinking. That's why we need reminders!!

During this Month, we (as in bloggers and authors) will be discussing several themes from eating disorders to ugly/pretty themes to health issues, disabilities and others, because these issues are very important during adolescence and they even seem to be vital for some during those years.

You can hop over to Jo's first post with the schedule of the events (here) and a presentation of the Month with the participants !!


I have signed up for this month and am thrilled to be reviewing the following books:
Luna by Julie Anne Peters (my review here)
Deenie by Judy Blume (my review here)
Shrink to fit by Dona Sarkar (my review here)
Just listen by Sarah Dessen (my review here)
Blood ties by Sophie McKenzie

I will also organise a Scott Westerfeld week with the reviews of Uglies, Pretties, Specials and Extras from the 19th of July (yay!)
(My reviews here: Uglies, Pretties, Specials, Extras)

As well as write a guest post of a French novel written by Jean Molla called Sobibor.


Such excitement!!!!


Be sure to check out Jo's blog (here) for all the participants and articles!

Thanks to Jo for organising this Month and opening the debate on such an important theme in YA literature (and in life of course!) and to all the others - bloggers, authors and readers - for participating in the Month !!

6 comments:

  1. I love what you've said about this already. I can't wait to read more. It's going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Luisa!!
    Can't wait to read your guest post too!
    I know the majority of the themes are serious and sometimes sad, but I feel that this week will bring such positivity that I'm really looking forward to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for such a great introduction post, Caroline! It's going to be a fantastic month! I'm looking forward to reading your reviews! :)

    And I'm with you, positive attitudes will ensue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did you guys find out about this? I didn't know about it until Jo said. Also, will be reading with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jo mentionned the month at our Blogger meet up and then I read her articles on Once Upon a Bookcase and I just wanted to participate because the theme was awesome!!
    I'm sure you can participate too *looking at Jo hoping I'm not saying something stupid* !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not at all! Lynsey, those books I was asking about a few weeks back were for the month. I've been tweeting about it, BI&SP Month? You can join in if you wish, if you're able to get books read in time, but you can just read too! All's good!

    ReplyDelete