Sunday Brunch #3


Hello everyone!

How have you all been doing? Anything new  going on?
Well here it was just sooo cold this week - it even snowed!

So the main idea of this feature is to talk about books without it being a review (where I only talk about one book and its themes) or a meme (because it doesn't leave much place to debate sometimes).

~~~~

Blog:

It turns out that this week has been my busiest week at work so I have done my best to keep up with my HIV/AIDS in Young Adult Literature Week, and I will continue reading and reviewing books on the subject because raising awareness should be done all year long!

I hope you have enjoyed discovering those books and that you feel like reading one of them!
I want to thank all the people who participated to the week by reading, reviewing, tweeting, talking and many other things! You guys made the week awesome! 

During a very cold and snowy evening, I met up with Lynda Waterhouse in South Bank (I managed not to stay lost more than half an hour, I am very proud of myself), who wrote the amazing Soul Love (my review to come up next week with the interview but you can read Sarah's review here). So it was my first ever face to face interview and I loved Soul Love so much that I was really nervous! But Lynda is absolutely awesome and we had a great discussion over the book and writing in general! She even gave me some of her other books, including Cut Off about two sisters having a difficult relationship - the book is told from both sisters' point of view, one of which in verse. And the first book of the Sand Dancers series! So very excited! 
You can read a bit of Soul Love on Lynda Waterhouse website here as well as a bit of Cut Off here.

~~~

Books:

I finally read Vampire Academy. Oh boy, am I addicted to this series! Get reading people, seriously! I started the first book Thursday night and I am now halfway through the fourth. Yes, that bad.



This week I received from Random House Children's books the gorgeousness that is Karen Mahoney's The Iron Witch! I've met Karen several time and I am just *so* excited about her debut novel! I have also received from Random House Children's Books The Betrayal Of Natalie Hargrove by Lauren Kate. I feel it will be darker than Fallen and I really can't wait to read it! Thank you so much RHCB for sending these my way!
I have received a werewolf novel, Wereworld by Curtis Jobling, which will come out in January, thanks so much to Penguin for this one!
As I told you last week, I loved Empress of The World by Sara Ryan so much that I bought The Rules for Hearts (companion novel) and it arrived this week! Woop woop!

~~~~

Stuff I read and want to share:

I found a website with an annotated bibliography of books on bullying for Grade levels (link here). If you are a librarian/teacher, it is a good start! You have all type of books and the bullying is on various subjects.

Aidan from A Dribble Of Ink tweeted "Let’s pretend I’ve never read a Science Fiction novel. What novels would you suggest?", check the answers here.

The graphic novel Good Dog, Bad Dog by Dave Shelton, published by the DFC Library, has won the Leeds Graphic Novel Award 2010 (website of the festival here). Congrats!

Joëlle Anthony published a countdown of 25 things that show up repeatedly in young adult fiction and I found it at times hilarious at others very sad. 

The lovely Bookette is organising a British Books Challenge for 2011, you need to read 12 novels and they can be old, new, out of print, classics, it doesn't matter, they just need to be British!

Lovely review of Ninth Ward by Jewell Parker on Reading in Color blog.

~~~

I hope you will all have a lovely week and stay tuned for Lynda Waterhouse interview next week!

x Caroline

4 comments:

  1. Your first face to face interview. How exciting! can't wait to hear more about it.

    And thanks for mentioning my challenge. You are very sweet. And I shouldn't be here. I should be writing. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you actually got to meet Lynda Waterhouse! How exciting :o) Thanks for linking to my review of Soul Love, I'm looking forward to reading your review & the interview. Cut Off sounds like an interesting read too so I'll have to check that out.

    Thanks for all your hard work organising HIV / AIDS week, I enjoyed taking part & have found quite a few more books to add to my wishlist so like you say I'll have to continue reading them throughout the year. Have you thought about adding people's links to the bibliography or the main post & we can all leave the button up on our blogs all year round?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say I'm so glad you're enjoying Vampire Academy! I love that series & have finished Last Sacrifice a couple of days ago :o) You're lucky that you discovered the series at the end so you can binge on all of the books in a row!

    ReplyDelete